Primary Sponsor: Rep. Ted Davis (R – New Hanover)
This bill would direct the City of Wilmington and the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to develop and implement a pilot project to establish a quick response team to address opiate overdose victims. The “Quick Response Team” would include firefighters, police officers, medics and other law enforcement. The Department of Public Safety and the City of Wilmington would be required to consider multiple areas of impact including the following:
- Increase engagement with family counseling/recovery groups;
- Provide follow-up care to survivors of overdose;
- Provide short- and long-term support to overdose victims and families;
- Provide follow up within 3-5 days after an initial incident;
- Create a fatal review panel to analyze and track deaths.
There would be an appropriation from the General Fund to the Department of Public Safety for $250,000 in recurring funds for 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 fiscal years for this project.