This bill would establish a Joint Legislative Task Force on Sudden Cardiac Arrest in Student Athletes. The Task Force would consist of the following members:
- Two members of the Senate appointed upon the recommendation of the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, with one member serving as co-chair;
- Two members of the House of Representatives appointed upon the recommendation of the Speaker of the House with one member serving as co-chair;
- Secretary of the NC Department of Health and Human Services, or a designee;
- A representative of the American Heart Association, appointed upon recommendation of the co-chairs.
The Task Force shall study the following:
- Frequency of sudden cardiac arrest or other heart conditions in student athletes;
- Other jurisdictions that have strategies to mitigate risks to student athletes, like mandatory heart exams;
- Cost of requiring student athletes to be tested for heart conditions.