- NCMS opposes the licensure of naturopaths.
- Naturopaths should not be allowed to use the title doctor, physician or the initials N.D. because it will confuse the public.
- Ineffective naturopathic treatments delay necessary or needed medical services and put patients at risk.
- With only 30 prospective licensees, the proposed naturopathy licensing board would be chronically underfunded and ineffective.
- The lack of ethical standard for naturopaths could lead to patient exploitation through (i) sales directly to patients of “naturopathic remedies” and (ii) by allowing unlicensed investors to own and control naturopathy practices.
The primary sponsors of the bill have requested that the NCMS negotiate a resolution to our members concerns. The NCMS encourages you to contact your local legislator to communicate your concerns about this current licensure proposal. Members of the Senate Finance Committee include:
Co-Chairman Sen. Fletcher L. Hartsell, Jr. (R-Cabarrus)
Co-Chairman Sen. Bob Rucho (R-Mecklenburg)
Vice Chairman Sen. Tom Apodaca (R-Henderson)
Vice Chairman Sen. Kathy Harrington (R-Gaston)
Vice Chairman Sen. Bill Rabon (R-Brunswick)
Vice Chairman Sen. Harris Blake (R-Moore)
Sen. Christopher “Chris” Carney (R-Iredell)
Sen. Austin M. Allran (R-Catawba)
Sen. Bob Atwater (D-Chatham)
Sen. Andrew C. Brock (R-Davie)
Sen. Harry Brown (R-Onslow)
Sen. Peter S. Brunstetter (R-Forsyth)
Sen. Daniel G. Clodfelter (D-Mecklenburg)
Sen. Charlie S. Dannelly (D-Mecklenburg)
Sen. Warren Daniel (R-Burke)
Sen. Linda Garrou (D-Forsyth)
Sen. Thom Goolsby (R-New Hanover)
Sen. Neal Hunt (R-Wake)
Sen. Clark Jenkins (D-Edgecombe)
Sen. Eleanor Kinnaird (D-Orange)
Sen. Floyd B. McKissick, Jr. (D-Durham)
Sen. Wesley Meredith (R-Cumberland)
Sen. Martin L. Nesbitt, Jr. (D-Buncombe)
Sen. E. S. (Buck) Newton (R-Wilson)
Sen. William R. Purcell (D-Scotland)
Sen. Gladys A. Robinson (D-Guilford)
Sen. David Rouzer (R-Johnston)
Sen. Josh Stein (D-Wake)
Sen. Richard Stevens (R-Wake)
Sen. Jerry W. Tillman (R-Randolph)
Sen. Michael P. Walters (R-Robeson)
Sen. Wes Westmoreland (R-Cleveland)
Sen. Stan White (D-Dare)
Click here to read the letter sent by Dr. Monteiro to the Senate Finance Committee this past Tuesday.