Membership in the North Carolina Medical Society (NCMS) makes you a part of a dynamic network of nearly 12,000 medical students, residents, practicing physicians, retired physicians, and physician assistants who represent organized medicine at its best.
Take a look at some of the benefits of membership below and become a part of the NCMS today!
As a member, you can expect:
Receive respected, effective representation before the North Carolina General Assembly on issues that directly affect physician practices. NCMS partners with more than 150 state and federal organizations to create a position of strength for NC physicians as decisions are made.
Special Member Benefits
- Take advantage of the North Carolina Medical Society Employee Benefit Plan, created by the NCMS to provide health care coverage for member physician practices. Currently the Plan serves more than 22,000 people in 860 medical practices across 90 of North Carolina’s 100 counties, catering to all specialties and practice sizes.
- Let NCMS Practice Consulting Services help to strengthen your practice through its consulting services. Learn how to achieve Meaningful Use; research and establish an EHR system; learn more about becoming a Patient-Centered Medical Home; and much more.
- View our vendor partner directory in the NCMS Marketplace, featuring businesses that can help your professional and personal lives.
Access to Information
- Explore the NCMS website, which features the latest health care news and houses extensive information that is vital to physician practices, such as developments in new models of care such as ACOs, employed physician resources, HIT help, and more.
- Have weekly newsletters emailed directly to you to keep you informed of important breaking medical news and legislative and compliance issues.
- Get answers to your practice questions through the NCMS Solution Center.
Opportunities for Involvement
- Assist medically under-served areas of the state through the Community Practitioner Program.
- Take issues of concern directly to the NCMS Board of Directors for consideration. Board meetings are held throughout the year at different locations in North Carolina. Watch our website for announcements of a meeting near you.
- Become involved in the electoral process to help elect candidates who fairly represent issues important to the medical community through the NCMS PAC and White Coat Wednesdays.
The Benefits of Joining NCMS
The NCMS employs a team of legislative, regulatory, and payer experts who closely monitor and respond to the latest developments that impact the profession of medicine and the care of patients.
Get your questions answered on topics from managing medical records, dealing with payer issues, to handling various practice management challenges.
The NCMS keeps a careful watch on all regulatory bodies including the NC Medical Board, challenging efforts that would negatively affect NC physicians and their patients.
Receive regular updates on all of the breaking health care news on Medicaid, Medicare, NCMS programs, and legislative developments.
Stay up-to-date on proposed bills including budget, Medicare, uninsured and managed care issues affecting your practice.
The Medical Society is working to educate physicians about new models of health care, helping to form the Toward Accountable Care Consortium.
NCMS Practice Consulting Services can help your practice make decisions on and implement EHR; achieve Meaningful Use; become a Patient Centered Medical Home; and more.
Save money and time by reviewing our partner vendors who offer a range of services, including health and malpractice insurance, and access our online CME portal.
Connect with your peers, attend CME programs, and help shape health policy by attending this free meeting.
Receive member-discounted rates and access to hundreds of online CME courses through our NCMS CME Portal.
Get access to our Model Medical Staff Bylaws, discounts on employment contract reviews, and other educational efforts designed to help you succeed in your profession.
Obtain resources for dealing with end-of-life issues, including information on advanced directives such as DNR and MOST forms, to better clarify your patients’ wishes at end of life.
Receive the North Carolina Medical Journal, access to the “Medico-Legal Guidelines,” discounts through the NCMS magazine program, discounts on coding and practice publications.