Dr. Wiel, an Associate Professor of Medicine and Social Medicine at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill and Director of the UNC Beacon Child and Family Program, presented statistics on the incidence of intimate partner violence and what role the health care provider plays in identifying and helping victims.
Katherine Pierce, MD, the co-chair of the Women Physicians Section of the Mecklenburg County Medical Society and Nancy Henley, MD, from the Women’s Section of the Durham Orange County Medical Society introduced Dr. Weil and asked the attendees to think about an NCMS Women in Medicine Initiative.
The proposed mission includes:
- Providing a forum for women physicians to communicate with each other about issues unique to them.
- Encourage leadership development and professional excellence.
- Increase participation in leadership roles.
- Strengthen the voice and influence of women physicians within the medical profession.
- Advance advocacy and help shape policy positions at the state and national level.
- Serve as mentors to each other and to physicians who follow.
To help shape the direction of the initiative, to assist in planning future events or just to share your ideas, please contact Emily Deese, Director of Membership.