The new deadline for implementation of ICD-10 coding is October 1, 2015, but it’s not too early to prepare. There are many resources and training opportunities available including the following:
- The North Carolina Healthcare Information and Communication Alliance (NCHICA) has a useful list of things to consider to make sure your system can work smoothly with the new coding. This list, as well as upcoming training sessions, are in their August 2014 newsletter.
- Explore the resources on the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) ICD-10 website and sign up for their email updates.
- The Roadto10 website is a comprehensive resource for small practices.
- The CMS YouTube video gives a two-minute introduction to the whole preparation process.
- CMS also is offering in-person training classes throughout the southeast including classes in Asheville, Boone and one in Charlotte. Check the calendar.
- Watch the North Carolina Medical Society’s (NCMS) eBulletin and website for other training opportunities and updates.